Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Wonder Wednesdays!

What is another name for thesaurus? (I asked Google, and the 7th entry down gave me “wordhoard.”)

How do people go up to heaven if we bury them in the underground? (compliments of my 6 year old daughter)

What if C-A-T really spelled dog? (Compliments of Ogre in Revenge of the Nerds part II: Nerds in Pardise) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0zjorR68A

What happens when you think the gas warning light on your car is merely a suggestion? (compliments of my wife on a road trip last year)

We ask questions in our head all the time. The cool thing is we often have the technology to answer a lot of these questions sitting in the palm of our hands. Even cooler, the classroom gives us the opportunity to discuss the “UNgoogleable” ones with 25+ at once. There is a push for student inquiry these days, and letting students direct their own learning more often. Leaving some time for open discussion on what students are wondering about can yield some great results and lead to better connections.

If you do not get a good discussion after asking the students for their wonders, at least you will get some good stories. Trust me. Ask me about running out of gas on I-35… in January… in Minnesota some time; you will love it!

Happy Holidays everyone. I hope you have a safe and happy Winter Break.

Credits:
Special thanks to the ladies at @literacyspark http://goo.gl/upSTuR, The Lambda-Lambda-Lambdas along w/ 20th Century Fox, and my beautiful wife.


No comments:

Post a Comment