Friday, August 29, 2014

Novelty, Hawthorne, and Synergy

I was fortunate to visit numerous classrooms over the past week. The abundance of  great people and experiences at Valley is overwhelming. I've taught at two other high schools before coming to Valley, and I can resolutely say that this is a special place. I've seen classes within numerous departments, and what I've experienced is just good energy. I must admit that much of my pleasure comes from getting to learn-- to be a student-- all over again. It's invigorating! Whether pace, activity, content, or personality, I personally feel compelled and inspired.

By this point, the invitations to visit classes have more acute purposes, such as management observations and ideas. It's humoring to see a bit of a pattern emerge: when I, the extra adult body, am present in the room, the concerning behavior diminishes. This living example of the Hawthorne Effect raises some good thoughts and questions: would all classes benefit from Instructional Coaches coming and going in a more free-flowing format, akin to a "lab school"? Will this diminish over time, more of a Novelty Effect? On a more rhetorical level, do those two confounding variables actually drive much of what is pitched to the public as educational reform? Heh... I digress.

The generalized great things observed: the meticulous constructs of angelic singing, solving the mysteries of writing purpose and craft as well as the riddles of mathematical functions, creating and observing chemical and physical changes, constructing sentences in a new language, expanding the detail in self-editing, the genesis of Google classrooms, technology-driven back-channel discussions, high expectations, positive personalities, and focused students. At this point in the year, Valley has an excellent feel about the building; great energy, hopefully a synergy that is no novelty. I am proud, fortunate, and humbled by it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment